Check out the history of Russell Feed & Supply, from our humble beginnings to the present day.
- February 3, 1975: Kenny Russell was a 17-year-old student at Haltom High School when his FFA advisor told him to “Go get that feed store job.” Kenny started his career working as Pete Ruthardt’s only employee at Ruthardt Pet & Feed Centers.
- October 1, 1997: Pete Ruthardt, looking to retire, offered to sell Kenny 3 of the Ruthardt Feed stores that they had worked to grow together. Kenny purchased the Jacksboro Hwy, Benbrook, and Camp Bowie West locations from Pete, and the name was changed to Russell Feed & Supply.
- 1998: Kenny purchased A & A Farm Store on Highway 199 in Azle. With the expansion of the highway, the store was relocated to S E Parkway in a brand new building.
- July 1, 2000: Crowley Feed Store in Crowley was purchased and became the 5th Russell Feed location.
- July 2006: A corporate office building was completed and all corporate employees moved to the new facility.
- May 2007: A warehouse facility was completed and all distributed items were moved to the new facility.
- December 2007: Kenny purchased the final Ruthardt Feed in Haltom City from Pete Ruthardt’s son-in-law.
- March 15, 2011: Russell Feed built a 12,000 square foot store in the Saginaw/Haslet area. The store was Russell Feed’s first from the ground up.
- June 1, 2011: Russell Feed opened a 25,000 square foot hay storage facility to ensure quality and supply of hay and shavings products.
- September 1, 2012: A 7,500 square foot addition to the corporate warehouse was completed.
- April 12, 2015: Russell Feed relocated its Azle store to a brand new 14,000 square foot facility.
- June 1, 2015: Kenny’s daughter, Megan, joined the company after graduating from college, making Russell Feed & Supply a multi-generational, family-owned and operated company.
- February 1, 2016: Russell Feed purchased Agvantage Farm and Ranch in Decatur, becoming the 8th location.
- August 2017: Russell Feed completed the relocation of its Crowley store to a brand new 12,500 square foot facility next door to the old facility. The original location was repurposed to provide 6,500 square feet of additional warehousing.
- May 2018: RFI, Russell Feed’s Corporate Warehouse, added on an extra 10,000 square foot of warehouse space plus office space for 3 more staff members.
- March 2019: The Camp Bowie West store was relocated to a new 15,500 square foot store.
- November 8, 2019: Baylor University’s Institute for Family Business honored and recognized Russell Feed & Supply, as the 2019 Texas Family Business of the Year Community Commitment Award Winner.
The company plans on continued store growth and location updates as markets and employees develop.